IID's: Ignition Interlock Devices
What is an Ignition Interlock Device?
An IID is a device that is connected to a cars ignition system that requires the driver to provide a breath sample to pass an alcohol breathalyzer test before starting their car. Additionally, IID's ensure that drivers are not drinking while driving by requiring that vehicle operators blow into the IID even as they drive. If the device detects alcohol, the engine will not start. A Los Angeles DUI Lawyer can advise you regarding the specific laws governing IID's in Los Angeles.
What does the law say about IID's?
- If you are convicted of a DUI in LA County, you may be required to install and IID on every vehicle you own or drive.
- The program specifically applies to convictions of CVC §23152
- It is unlawful for a person who has 0.08 percent or more, by weight, of alcohol in his or her blood to drive a vehicle.
- It is unlawful for a person who is under the influence of any drug to drive a vehicle.
- There is no specific law requiring IID's to be installed, but courts have the power to require DUI convicts to install them.
- Courts in 4 counties currently require IID use: Alameda, Los Angeles, Sacramento, and Tulare County.
- The program applies to DUI's ONLY after July 1st 2010
- At the end of a 5-month period, you may be eligible to have the IID removed.
What are the fees associated with an IID?
- Installation fees can range from $50-$100.
- And, daily fees of up to $2.50
How long do I need to keep the IID in my car?
- If you've been convicted of one DUI offense
- If you've been convicted of 2 DUI offenses
- If you've been convicted of 3 DUI offenses
- If you've been convicted of 4 DUI offenses
It is imperative that you hire a DUI criminal defense attorney that has experience handling DUI cases and proceedings in Los Angeles.
William S. Kroger and his office have represented thousands of people charged with DUI. Mr. Kroger handles both the court and DMV process. Though usually charged as a misdemeanor, the penalties and consequences of a DUI arrest are numerous and complex. Mr. Kroger is an expert and navigating a client through the many legal and regulatory requirements that arise from a DUI.
William S. Kroger is committed to your defense. His proven track record of exceptional criminal defense is your best option to defend yourself. Contact William S. Kroger Attorney at Law today at (323) 655-5700 to discuss your case. The sooner you retain legal counsel, the sooner he and his legal team can begin work on your case.